Many seniors find themselves feeling lonely. A person may begin to sense that they no longer have a purpose after retirement. Those who want to live an enriching life as a senior often need memory care services. With this guide, seniors and their loved ones will learn about the benefits of assisted living and how these communities can help them embrace life and live it to the fullest.
Ten Ways Assisted Living Improves a Senior’s Quality of Life
Moving into the right assisted living community can become highly beneficial for seniors. Elderly people and their loved ones need to learn as much as possible about the benefits so they can take action.
- Some seniors need help with day-to-day tasks, such as bathing, toileting, or eating. Seniors want to remain as independent as possible. Residents of assisted living communities will have the daily assistance they need at all times.
- An assisted living community is highly flexible. These communities can adapt to the needs of their residents. If a senior needs enhanced care in some areas of their lives, the level of care can change to meet the need.
- Seniors often do not get the nutrition they require. Malnutrition can negatively affect a person’s health. Having their meals provided by staff members will help senior residents ensure they are getting all the nutrients their bodies need.
- The elderly need to feel like they are a part of a community. Assisted living communities allow seniors to make friends and enjoy socializing. When seniors are a part of a large community, they are no longer isolated.
- Seniors will have access to the transportation they need for going to the doctor. Sometimes, people find it more difficult to drive safely when they become older. Because of their slower reaction times, fatal accidents are more likely to occur.
- Having access to opportunities for fun activities allows seniors to remain physically active and experience joy. There is always something to see, do, and experience in these communities.
- A senior will no longer have to worry about stressful household chores. Maintaining a home often becomes stressful for seniors because they can no longer handle the work physically. Assisted living communities relieve seniors of their daily chores, freeing them to do those things they love.
- Seniors living in Fresno will also discover assisted living allows them to remain independent safely. Nobody wants to lose their independence just because they grow older. Assisted living allows seniors to live as independently as possible while receiving the daily assistance they need.
- Residents and their loved ones will have full peace of mind. Seniors will know they are receiving the best of care, and their loved ones will realize the peace of mind in knowing their family member is safe, secure, and happy.
Seniors Receive Help Managing Their Medications
One of the biggest challenges for seniors and their families is ensuring medication compliance. Many seniors are forgetful or suffer cognitive declines that require memory care.
When seniors forget or neglect to take their medications, serious health issues may arise. Staff members at assisted living communities help seniors keep track of their medications and ensure full compliance.
Tips For Choosing an Assisted Care Community
Once a senior and their loved ones have decided assisted care is the right approach, finding the best community becomes essential. Families should take great care in learning as much as possible about their options. This is not the time to rush the decision process.
One way to learn more about the communities in the area is to ask the senior’s primary care doctor for information. Physicians will often refer their patients to these communities when seniors need assistance with day-to-day living.
Touring each community becomes essential for seniors and their families. Tours should be both announced and unannounced to ensure the senior is choosing the right place for their needs. A senior should tour the grounds, view the housing, and meet all the staff.
Seniors should come prepared to ask questions of the staff and residents. In addition to touring the communities, seniors and their families should also search for reviews. If there are a lot of poor reviews, a person should look elsewhere for their assisted living needs.
At Summerfield of Fresno, we take great pride in providing a safe, yet engaging community for our senior residents. Our elegant assisted living community has 56 gorgeous living suites, and our compassionate staff is available 24/7 to meet the needs of our residents. From in-house doctor’s visits to movie nights, we provide the best of care for seniors.